Taunya MacDonald has been a registered massage therapist since 2009, graduating from the West Coast College of Massage Therapy’s 3000 hour programme. Previous work experience has ranged from the bustle and repetition of being a waitress and bartender, to endless hours of sitting in a cubicle while working for atelephone company; both have provided useful insight into the different physical challenges we face, and how their effects can be treated with massage therapy.
My love to learning, sharing knowledge, and empowering other people lead to tutoring fellow students in massage school, becoming a teaching assistant at the Boucher Institute of Naturopathic Medicine once I was an RMT, and now I enjoy helping the people I treat have a better understanding of their bodies, and how they work. When possible, I want you to understand why you’re having a problem, and how to resolve it – to empower you to participate in your own Wellness.
After entering practice, I discovered additional ways of treating that help me achieve my treatment goals, including the use of Graston Technique, hot stones (not in a spa-style application), and Rock Tape. Not every treatment will include all of my ‘tools’ – what we choose to use will depend on why you’re seeking treatment. Whether we use light and relaxing techniques that will focus on your nervous and lymphatic system, or more vigorous techniques associated with ‘deeper’ work will depend upon you, and your body on the day of treatment.
- 1991 B.A. English Literature, Simon Fraser University
- 2009 West Coast College of Massage Therapy (Registered Massage Therapist)
- 2009 Manual Lymphatic Drainage (Level 1 – not for compromised lymphatic systems)
- 2010 Systemic Deep Tissue Therapy
- 2012 Graston Technique Practitioner
- 2012 3rd International Fascia Research Congress
- 2014 Rock Tape (kinesiology taping)
- 2010, 2011, 2013: Part-time teaching assistant for Physical Medicine at the Boucher Institute of Naturopathic Medicine (BINM)
- 2010 to present: Teaching assistant for annual 6-day Intensive Cadaver Lab with the BINM
- 2013 to present: Co-manager of massage department at Performax Health Group